Tell us what you thought of TEDxTexasTech 2015! Complete this brief survey!
Get ready for TEDxTexasTechUniversity 2015 on Feb. 28, 2015!
Disruptive ideas are taking shape all across the Texas Tech University System, and the time has come to share those ideas with each other and the world!
Tickets are sold out!
Conference organizers posed the question “What if?” and received responses from individuals with a wide range of experiences and diverse backgrounds. Nationally-recognized experts and entrepreneurs will share the stage with representatives of local and regional business, academic, faith and technology communities and include:
- Julissa Arce, former Wall Street executive; director of development at Define American, a culture and media organization using the power of story to transcend politics and shift the conversation around immigration, citizenship and identity. Co-founder of Ascend Educational Fund.
- Bernard Harris, TTU alumnus, astronaut and president of the Harris Foundation. Harris became the first African American to perform an extra-vehicular activity (spacewalk), during the second of his two Space Shuttle flights.
- Kitty Harris Wilkes, TTU faculty, director, Center for Study of Addiction and Recovery, noted speaker and expert quoted in the Wall Street Journal, on the NBC Today Show and CNN.
- Katharine Hayhoe, atmospheric scientist, TTU faculty, director of the Climate Science Center, TIME 2014 Top 100 Most Influential People featured on the Emmy Award-winning documentary series Years of Living Dangerously,
- Calder Hendrickson, founder and president of AquaSmart; Forbes Magazine's Top 30 most influential leaders in the energy field.
- Cory Session, brother of Timothy Cole (TTU student), policy director, Innocence Project of Texas.
- Cagri Bakirci, TTU grad student - Evolutionary Robotics
- Savannah Barksdale, TTU undergrad student - Communicating in a Global Society
- Chris Forgey, TTU alumnus, innovator, inventor, Light Bohrd
- Patricia Hawley, TTU faculty - 50 Shades of Grey and Dominance Theory
- Laura Heinz, TTU faculty - Libraries as Essential Part of Communities
- Ron Milam, TTU faculty - Reckoning of War
- Bryan Padgett, pastor, Redeemer Lubbock - Ending Sex Trafficking, Pornography
- Jeremy Snead, Film Director, Mediajuice Studios Founder & CEO - What if we could make work like play?
- Joshua Willms, TTU alumnus, TTUHSC grad student - Interfaith Dialogue
Visit our YouTube page to watch the talks from our inaugural TEDxTexasTechUniversity.
TEDxTexasTechUniversity was held on Feb. 8, 2014, and was aimed toward increasing human connectivity and shared innovation in and around the Texas Tech University System and our local communities. The inaugural event was an opportunity for faculty, staff, students, and community members to learn about the exciting research, innovation, and idea generation taking place at our universities.
The TEDx program included 17 speakers who were divided among three sessions and have backgrounds in a vast range of areas, including art, science, music, and research. The theme for the inaugural event was Open Skies, Open Minds.
What is TEDx?
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TED has created a program called TEDx. TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. Our event is called TEDx[name], where x = independently organized TED event. At our TEDx[name] event, TEDTalks video and live speakers will combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events, including ours, are self-organized.